Thursday, March 12, 2009

meat tooth, sweet tooth

Last night consisted of mystery jamming and smooth rhythms, bird cage swings, and puddle boxes. The cultural center was full of the most beautiful people with lots of faux flowers in their hair. We ate empanadas after the show ended and got confused about an inexplicable offer of an extra plate which was declined.
I fell asleep feeling chirpy and breezy.
Today consisted of a long conversation about linguistics, tango, friends in foreign places, and old English lovers in Spanish on the way to an estancia. We were greeted by baskets of the most delicious empanadas, and then I took my shoes off and ran towards the swings. I wanted to go down the slide, but it was made of wood and a bit wobblier than I would have liked. Sam, Lori, and another girlface tried to spin me clockwise and I defied all logic by not being dizzy. My shoes were still off.
Next I think came handstands and elbow stands, and I'm not sure how Samantha can do the cartwheels and the backflips and the handstands she can do. Anyways she does it, and she does it running and smiling. She also talks about wearing her shoes out on lava rock, and I can't articulate the feeling I get when I hear her refer to lava rock.
An asado in this neocolonial building shortly followed. I ate little Brazilian fish with soft bones in them. They tickled my tongue. There were slices with meat crust and hardboiled eggs with pickled peppers inside. There was midafternoon wine and yummy poached pears with wildly smooth dark chocolate on top. There were giant slabs of meat, and I could only stomach the first roung of pork before declining all else.
I shared some delicious mate surrounded by the first group of boys who weren't outrageous citizens of deuschebagland. I have never been friends with so many girls in my life, really, before this trip. It's nice to know there are worthy boys out there.
We bopped into the farm and saw the Argentine version of ostriches, baby rabbits, loose baby ducks, peacocks, doves, big rabbits, giant guinea pig, baby waby guinea pigs, bunnies in the duck pin, armadillos standing up. Also chickens and turkeys of all different shapes and sizes and colors. There was a deer and a buck. I also made a cat friend who reminded me of Takkun. He was feisty, and I charmed his wily self for just a while. I knew I liked him when he licked my armpit and then bit my elbow. Tough love.
Sam and I ditched bikes and road on the rickshaws that appeared off limits but were embraced and therefore within our limits. I made a Milo and Otis reference that was met with the cutest biggest hug ever. The contraption got stuck a fair amount, and it was hard and bumpy and woozy fun. I liked to jerk around in it, and maybe that means I shouldn't have been steering. Regardless, it was a workout to remember. My face was more flushed than I'd seen it in years upon return. I also successfully rode bikes in the grass, but I couldn't do narrow turns. I stayed up the whole time and was able to start so successfully so often!
I had the sweetest pomegranate seed of all pomegranate seeds and rubbed palm fruit oil all over me and smelled really good for a long time. We spun around really fast and some sang some really awful musical songs that made me happy because they were from musicals (which I had wanted to get into before realizing I don't like most musicals) and partially uncomfortable because they were all songs from my least favorite musicals. I began singing the Addam's family theme song instead. I gave 2 tarot card readings as we passed around the gourd of mate, and I had my day's cigarette.
We are buying thong swimsuits tomorrow to wear on Saturday in Tigre. I am passing up a language exchange once more though it is only 2 blocks from my house. My feet are covered in dirt from running in the mud, and my skin feels hot from the sun. I have to register tomorrow, but not until later in the afternoon which means I can have a lovely morning.
The trip ended with a bus ride listening to The Blow reciting a kids clapping rhyme/game: Sally Walker. The color yellow came up in conversation. I gave myself a quick 3 card tarot spread of: 8 wands (past), 8 cups (present), and knight of cups (future) that couldn't have been any more pertinent to my current lifestyle and couldn't have been more invigorating. Then there was a rainbow, but we hadn't had any rain.
The McDonalds's here really aim for classy, and I oddly dig their uniforms of denim playsuits with embroidered M's on the rear pockets. I am losing my English, and I have noticed I've had to go back and revise some odd errors in entry that stem from me hearing my thoughts in my head and typing with phonemes rather than words. I'm going to think about red crushed velvet suits, the eiffel tower, and cadence now. What a romantic end to a Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment