Saturday, March 21, 2009

glass bottle moment

I am not blowing my nose throughout the entire day again! Take that infection!
On my walking adventure I spotted street protest of the day numero uno. Again, the purpose remained ambiguous. Someone was speaking into a bullhorn about something I couldn't ascertain, and everyone was holding a sign that read "cielo" (signifies heaven).
I walked about 35 blocks to the Tattoo Arcade en Avenida Santa Fe complete with "alt" clothes shops and bong shops. A few points of interest: one, the lack of privacy in the tattoo parlors. You can watch people getting tattooed through the windows. Emily questioned whether or not this would hold true even if someone was getting a tattoo on their privates. This is one instance where the term privates becomes relative. There is simply no privacy in these places. I asked if I needed an appointment and how much it would cost and both of my answers were granted. I'm going to come back one day this week with an actual image of the hummingbird of my dreams so something is not lost in translation. Also, I've never seen so many thick laced black boots and scratches and neon animal prints congregated in one area in my whole life!
I walked again about 50 blocks to the movie theater. At one point, right after the sun had set I had regretted walking alone through the streets ahead of me because it was desolate despite few bodies interspersed, but I felt okay. I came upon a busier street the rest of the walk and was glad I braved through the on foot trek.
I came upon another protest-rally in a square equally ambiguous and complete with bullhorn. I will learn the meaning of the more rare words so I can pitch in when I see fit. Every bus waiting haven had "capitalismo es egoismo" taped or written on the side of it for about 5 blocks as well. When I return to the spot I will bring my camera and take the blog on a walk with me so you can see it just like I did. I kept looking up to see if I could spot one little star of the southern hemisphere, but the sky was raisin purple. I appreciate a good tone of purple, for sure, but I do look forward to parting ways with the city from time to time. My lungs could use a break from the smog, and my eyes could gaze upon a few more constellations.
I came across a punk show being played in a beaaautiful park before I waited to go back to the theater. Something about those 10 minutes really stuck with me. I'm feeling rather ethereal regularly here. I also spotted a lady selling popcorn on the street that I uncharacteristically passed because it looked old. Also the boy the vendor was talking to had greasy hair and a baseball cap and made me nervous. That was odd. I made up for bypassing the popcorn by enjoying a glass bottle of Pepsi complete with straw and a man who popped the top for me prior to the movie of an old man with beautiful eyes. I really appreciated the purposeful slowness of the film.
My favorite part of the night is the cab ride home. I get to watch the city move for me. It's an interactive and breezy film.

No comments:

Post a Comment