Friday, February 20, 2009

time jumps about, rain falls down, and i keep bumbling about

I'm not at all sure what time it is. It's either 6:30 or 7:30, and everyone seems to be operating as if it were one of the two. Hay una tormenta (there's a thunderstorm) today, and it is perfect. I'm in the barrio I will be living in, and I've walked past the corner that I will have a little part of twice today. After a mishap this morning of my hostel giving my room away for tonight, I am at a new one a few doors down that has the feel of a ranch. My ceiling is much closer to the sky than I will ever be dwelling on land. The two paintings in my room are of naked woman. They almost look like the same naked woman. They have inspired me to pose nude for one of the art classes when I get back to Iowa City. I'm falling in love with this city beginning today. The boy filling in for the innkeeper at my hostel for the rest of the week gave me my first cheek goodbye and was the first person I've heard to use "vos." I also spoke my first collection of full sentences since being here, and even though they were terrrrible ungrammatical, I got my point across. It is much too much easier to write than to speak.
I forgot to mention the little foot dances I've been having with the scruffy pigeons in the street and all of the little puppies being coddled by people. I've never seen a stray dog before today that looked so cleeean. Lastly, the streets are nothing more than broken jumbled cobblestone, graffiti on top of more graffiti, and not a single stop sign in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment