Tuesday, February 17, 2009

heavy eyelids and the fiercely nervous tides

I arrived this morning after some useless solicitations by American men gleeeeful and sublime. Some dolares turned into pesos right before my very eyes, and before I knew it a quick contract with a remise was signed before walking outside for the first time in almost 24 hours. I went indoors without a coat in 30 degree, midwest weather and emerged without a coat trying to figure out celsius below the equator.
Right before I finally stepped outside, security guards are silently handing out blood red fliers that read "Cuidado/Warning" advising you to take airport-approved transportation services instead of rides from the hoards of men asking to take you where you want to go. Eeks? I had no idea that's what the paper was talking about, though, until I was able to sit down in the caaab because I had already solicited the services of so and so, so.
I truly despise not being able to articulate just the way you want to, and not having an ally to further clarify what you mean and vice versa in a bout of troubleshooting. I need to work on my tendency to panic when my only legitimate form of communication is a language I have never had to rely on. At leeeast no one commented on my broken shoes when I was bopping around the streets earlier. Little Iowa peddlers don't cut it in this hot hot heat. I hope my only other pair doesn't suffer the same fate.
Uno mas pucho antes de dormir. I wish I could smoke it outside on the front step or at my window, but my hotel room for the night is like being inside of a reeeally, comparitively nice prison cell with its strange blinds and strange outside view of more said strange blinds.
Tomorrow I try and find some sandals, tobacco, and friends. Room service is not an option, and I really hate cubed meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment