Saturday, February 21, 2009

the loss of the stars, funny? or just everything else.

I woke up today and thought it was the time on my computey. I went back to sleep. My morning consisted mostly of forgetting and uncertainty. I woke up and remembered that it was an hour later than I thought. I smoked in my cozy room in the nude and looked out the lacy curtain on my door that likes to flap. The French couple could have seen me if they were descending the stairs outside. To them, I'd be that naked girl smoking the cigarette in her room in Argentina. I'd be okay with that. I've talked enough about nudity on this blog so far so moving on.
I thought I was checking out with some woman who was sitting at the front desk. I said, "Hola!" She kind of looked flustered and smiled and ran away. I sat there not really sure what to do. I walked up and down the stairs since I couldn't leave without a key. I whispered something to the googly eyed siamese kitty, and he looked offended so I pet him instead. The man who gave me a room came through the door as I was walking down the steps to wait for someone to came in so I said "Gracias y chau!" That was fun.
I came back to the hostel I was meant to stay at and a smiley woman named Mali showed me my room. She said, "Soy Mali." I said, "Que es un Mali?" And then laughed at my mistake when she pointed at herself.
I left immediately to try to find the landlords office in the center of Buenos Aires, about 3 miles and who knows how many km away, and realized while I was walking I didn't know the number of the office. I went anyway. I couldn't find it anyway. Another man approached me and tried to sell me socks. Where are they getting these socks? Most people on the street are wearing flip-flops? I'm not sure socks are a street business you'd want to get into for a living. What are you doing by pushing socks? Anyways.
I plopped down at a cafe and ate the most delicious medialuna with ham and cheese and the most magical orange juice with pulp that never sinks to the bottom. Since the ATMs hadn't worked for me I've been trying to conserve my cash. This means one meal a day not exceeding 30 pesos. I started reading the Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo while eating and felt dirty hearing the words "the big brown monster exploded" while I'm around men whose...
After a eensyweensy nap I went out in search of an ATM that will give me money. All along I thought the ATMs that were protected with a door and a card swiper were for people who were members of the bank. I tried my card anyway, and it worked! It made up for all of the stars dying in a trillion years from now! Though the comparison is weighted more on one side in terms of what is more poetic.
I celebrated with an eensyweensy scone of Los Kilotos del Whiskey at a gelataria. It was dreamy. I realized I forgot again to look at the address of my next destination again. My mishaps are getting all very funny to me, and it is making me smile at everyone I see. Even creepy boys who say "Hello, I love you" or "Hola mamacita, como anda?" I say "Hooola" very coyly and resume walking.
I've been sitting with the window to my room open, and there are little kids making little kid noises, and some apartment building adjacent to the hostel has been practicing their music for a long time now. They are very well-rounded. I've heard some hard rock, some belly dancing worthy ensemble, some samba, and some very recognizable song a la Boy George but not quite.
I'm going to embrace the night with an early dinner and practice my Spanish and learn more about the cosmos. I will have a companion in 36 hours!

2 comments:

  1. another man with socks!!!! it is a conspiracy!!!! "To them, I'd be that naked girl smoking the cigarette in her room in Argentina." amazing. you are not immortalized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i meant now immortalized... silly meeee

    ReplyDelete