Wednesday, February 18, 2009

sticky buns

I have for the one of the few times in my life, showered two days in a row. I began my day with sticky buns... mmmm stickiness... and the afternoon is ending with a different variety of sticky buns. I will let you infer the meaning of this. I very much preferred the buns of the morning, the strange sticky rectangular dulce, and the cafe that had the aftertaste of suntan oil.
After again being wrong about what time it actually is, I rushed up stairs because I thought I missed check out. Even so, I should have let it sliiiiiide for more of the slippery coconut cafe I am so missing right now. Upon checkout, I called a cab. A very nice man pulled up. I accidentally told him the directions in English. Finally someone who doesn't speak English. I mysteriously transform into a litttttle clam and hand him the slip of paper with the direccion. He speaks to me a lot in Spanish unlike most everyone else, and though I don't understand him, I don't feel so out of place responding. Un exito! I didn't understand what he meant by yellow in relation to nieve. I said si regardless. He urged me to practice my Spanish quite regularly and dropped me off in front of V&S Hostel en el Microcentro.
I plopplopplop up the stairs with my luggage up flights of stairs I didn't know existed, hoping I wouldn't die by reverse momentum down the steps I miraculously made up. A girl comes down and helps me make use of the elevator I was ignorant of. They have many things aqui, unlike the relatively stuffy Wilton Hotel. I do miss the man who brought me mis picadas y licaudo de frutas. They gave me a very useful map and the lay of the land. The third floor is where business is conducted. There is a terrace, a kitchen, tables, books, a television with many peliculas, una seccion para computadoras, etc. I must inquire as to how to make my way to the beach once I leave and maaaybe (maybe) make friends here. I'm quite hot and schizophrenic currently so perhaps I will wait to make friends until I get to San Telmo. We shall see.
I ventured around for a few hours today with un petit sonrie on my face whenever someone would make eye contact. How effective! When I was lonely I remembered to think of everyone as if they were an inspired kitten, and then someone told me they loved me. Helloooo I love you won't you tell me your name?...
The pedestrian streets are crowded with many flip flop shops and burger places. Also little baaabies playing the accordion, and it is very much commercial looking most places I look. On la avenida de mayo there was a beeeautiful park squished alongside of two very large streets that I will wander over to when I move on this weekend. No couples mid-action in site.
My day's been punctuated by taking refuge in my air conditioned room though it is mostly just a fan, and I still feel buttered. I ventured out again for food and happened accidentally upon a bilingual cafe. The man began speaking to me in English. Oh I'm so obbbvious. Then he led me to a table outdoors. I tried my first mate of Argentina, and it was of the bag variety. Sorry little wet sack, but you are not quite mate. It is annoying to be a solo female because solo men look like they are going to sit down with you, and I don't feel like talking to them. I thought this was happening for a moment when a man on the street came over to me on the plaza, but then I realized he'd seen me from afar and decided to try and sell me socks. You think I don't know what you're doing sir? I'm onto you. My server came to my rescue swiftly and shooed him away.
I wish I could've given the rest of my pizza to one of the families on the street with their beautiful sleepy babies but not this time.
I bypassed my first sight of a tango show on la avenida Florida and saw a man trying to sell animal balloons get questioned by authorities. I do hope it's not for spreading the love of globos. Signing off to combat mas calor.

1 comment:

  1. the man selling socks underestimated your cleverness my dear. also... you paint beautiful pictures and tell wonderfully of your adventures. can't wait for más. xoxo. and of course and as always, keep it real. and fabulous. the jist: keep it really fabulous!

    ReplyDelete