Sunday, September 20, 2009

I hope to bring the prarie to the city one day. Harvesting vegetables is extremely satisfying but not as much as weeding. I like to think of weeding as an act of heroism! I like to think of harvesting as an act of piracy with loot of VEGETABLES!
I have learned that some families on farms call their pigs ham, cattle hamburger, and the like so that their kids can understand them as something other than a pet. There is a cow you should meet whose best friend is a runaway show pig. I have seen cats play dead when getting roughed up by brutish dogs. I have seen larvae slither in the sun and taken a liking to fire ants! Wild roots, wilder ness.
As little bits of Iowa return to their prarie roots: http://www.inhf.org/prairiemgmt.htm
Free posters with prarie restoration information available through the Iowa City Department of Agriculture (in case I am not the only interested party).

No comments:

Post a Comment